Saturday, January 2, 2010

A Year in Style....

Cathy Horyn of the New York Times wrote a particularly insightful piece (especially for the NYT) just prior to the beginning of 2010... Here's the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/27/fashion/27LADIES.html?_r=2&ref=fashion

Here's a snippet: "Mrs. Obama, though, has successfully separated the personal from the political. Indeed, the only thing more surprising than the storm over Ms. Palin’s “Pretty Woman” makeover is that almost no one has raised an eyebrow over Mrs. Obama’s wearing of non-American labels, which include Nina Ricci and Junya Watanabe, and some of the most expensive at that."

My mother and I have had many conversations about Michelle Obama's wardrobe. My mother doesn't exactly appreciate her style... I, on the other hand, think "Mrs. O" usually looks very fashionable and I appreciate her willingness to leave the stepford First Lady look behind. (and yes, Mom, I did love what she wore to the Kennedy Center Honors-- the purple dress and statement necklace were not only appropriate but beautiful). She's only in her mid 40's after all, with two children who have yet to become teenagers living in her home. I don't believe that when a woman hits 30, or even 40 or 50 for that matter, that she must subscribe to the unfortunate school of thought which dictates women chop their hair off into permed bobs and only wear mom jeans and boxy suits. Yuck. I certainly hope when I reach 40 (at the start of the next decade) that I'm sporting Blahnik and Louboutin and have found a fabulous tailor who makes me look like a million bucks in a Chanel suit.

I think the most interesting part of Horyn's article is her comparison between Mrs. O and Sarah Palin... a comparison that I believe is unwarranted. Mrs. O isn't running for office. She isn't trying to write legislation (unlike Hillary Clinton as First Lady) or solve the world's problems. She's chosen to champion healthy eating and childhood obesity (I think, no official platform has been released from her office). Sarah Palin, however, appears to be dressing for the "job she wants" - she aspires to be the Commander in Chief, not the official host(ess) shaking hands by his/her side. IMHO, it's a bit like comparing apples to spinach--the only things they have in common are that they're high in fiber and low in calories.

That's not to say that I think Mrs. O can do no wrong-- I applaud the fact that she has two kids and has managed to stay in shape, keeping the toned arms she's become famous for so, well, toned. However, sleeveless dresses seem to have become her trademark. Sometimes sleeveless just isn't an appropriate look... like when you're meeting world leaders or speaking at a professional luncheon. How about throwing on one of those J Crew cardigans, Mrs. O? I'd feel much better about it. I also agree with Horyn about Mrs. O's lack of support for American designers. Yes, we have become a global society. But I'd certainly appreciate seeing her sport a few more items made in the USA. Lastly, how about the columnists that go on and on about Mrs. O's choice of less expensive "off the rack" items be truthful... an outfit isn't affordable if the dress is from JCrew but the belt that makes the dress look so fabulous is by Azzedine Alaia (and therefore costs more than most of the clothes in my closet combined).

In any event, I'd love to play dress up in Mrs. O's closet. Sarah Palin can keep her suits (even if they came from Neiman Marcus). Here's to seeing what else comes out of the White House in 2010... let's hope I like it as much as Mrs. O's shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment