Monday, October 5, 2009

34 weeks!

Finally, the day has arrived and Franklin is officially pre-term. I have completed 34 weeks of pregnancy, and by this weekend we'll be inching closer to a healthy baby boy with healthy lungs. For my reference, so I don't forget, there are a few things I'd like to remember about this point in pregnancy:
The Bad
  1. The swelling is bad. Yesterday, I clipped both of our dogs (we groom them on our own, saves tons of money), and by the end of the hour-long process my feet and ankles were so swollen it took hours for them to return to normal.
  2. It hurts to walk. My ankles are really super sore, and when I try and walk they ache and it makes me hobble like an old lady.
  3. My lower back hurts too. When I stand up, it feels like I'm carrying 100 pounds in front of me.
  4. Pregnancy carpel tunnel stinks. My fingers and wrists are so sore they burn like crazy at night... Last night I finally found relief for a few hours by holding a bag of frozen blueberries in my hands. I'll be attempting this every night to try and end the aching. By the end of the day, it hurts to hold a pen and I don't have the strength in my hands to grip much of anything.
  5. The pity looks. People used to look at me like, "how neat, she's expecting!" Now, it's more like, "Geez she looks miserable, I hope she doesn't go into labor right now." When I tell people I have another month to go, they all look at me like I'm insane.

The Good:

  1. Franklin has the hiccups all the time and it's hilarious. They last on average about 20-30 minutes, and he gets them several times a day. Frank was able to feel him hiccuping last week when he'd turned back breech, but he's reversed himself again and I can tell exactly how he's oriented based on where I feel the hiccups.
  2. Franklin is pretty temperamental. He gets rather ticked off when someone puts weight on a part of my belly. For example, when Frank rests an arm against the side of my stomach, or puts his hand on my belly, Franklin kicks at it like, "Seriously, I already don't have enough room in here, and now you're pushing on me?? I don't think so." It's pretty funny. He kicks at the dogs too. Lola has created a new position for herself where she rests with her head on my belly at night. Yesterday, Franklin was extremely irritated at her, and kicked her so hard 2-3 times that she kept lifting her head and looking at me like "What the heck was that?!"
  3. The pity looks. I find it amusing, because yes, I realize that I am huuuge. But the pity looks also mean that this whole pregnancy thing is almost over. Which I'm good with. I'm ready to feel like myself again.
  4. My husband's slow realizations. Because Franklin has turned again I'm feeling pressure and sometimes it (I know, TMI) feels like he is extremely low, particularly when I walk. I mentioned it to Frank yesterday, and he got this look on his face like, "wait a minute, I'm supposed to have another month to 'prepare' before the baby arrives....you had better not go into labor early!" It's almost like day by day it's finally hitting my husband that yes, in a few short weeks he will have an infant to care for, and yes, I will expect him to help! I've spent the last 8 1/2 months prepping for this baby, coming to term with the realization that I'll have a little human who is dependent upon my every need come November. I suppose that since Frank hasn't actually experienced carrying the baby, it's been a bit more surreal for him.
  5. The final countdown! Now that I've reached 34 weeks, I no longer have to take the brethine. It also seems as if the contractions have calmed down on their own, which is a good thing. A part of me would be ok with Franklin's decision that he'd like to show up at around 37 weeks and change, but another part of me would really like to follow my scheduled date. I'd like the week before he gets here to mentally prepare, rest, get the manicure/pedicure I want, have a hair cut, throw a few extra frozen meals in the freezer, etc. - so I have mixed feelings about the whole thing I guess. So what's my prediction?? My last day of work before I start maternity leave is October 30, at 37 w 6 days. I predict that Franklin will decide to make his arrival the next Monday, which is Nov. 1st (which, Marina, means you'll be right!) Why that date? I think Franklin's a stinker like his Dad, and will come according to his own terms, thereby depriving me of both an early end to pregnancy as well as my coveted week off. I suppose we'll know soon enough!

Our next Dr. appointment is Wednesday, I'm hoping to schedule a growth ultrasound so that we have a better idea of just how big baby boy is. I'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you guys are ready for this baby! Get the carseat in, and keep us posted! Hilark and Jim

    ReplyDelete