Monday, October 26, 2009

Introducing....

Franklin! Franklin III arrived last Friday, October 23, 2009, at 7:52 AM. He weighed 6 lbs, 12 oz, and is 19 inches long. He's perfect! (A little smaller than expected, but still perfect).

Here's the story: Last Thursday I had a regularly scheduled doctor's appointment to monitor my blood pressure. I went in thinking that it would probably be a little up based on the way I'd felt the few days prior, but still thought that Dr. Straughn would schedule the delivery for the next week. Much to my surprise, my blood pressure was 150/100 at the appointment that day, and Dr. Straughn walked in with "let's have a baby!" I was 36 weeks 5 days, and she wanted to deliver that afternoon or the next day. I was immedately wheeled into the adjoining hospital and hooked up to monitors and a blood pressure cuff. A magnesium drip was started to lower my blood pressure, which made me feel even worse, and I settled in for the long haul. Frank arrived later that afternoon, and my family came by later that night. Luckily, I was offered ambien and slept as much as I could that night.

I woke up early the next morning to prepare to meet my little man! A quick shower and a little makup later, Frank arrived and it was time to get started. Unfortunately, because of the mag drip and my hormones, there are several details of the morning that I've already forgotten... but I do recall that I was rather emotional and couldn't stop crying! Frank just kept laughing at me. Around 7:30 they wheeled me into the OR and the process began. Frank came in a little while later, and then Franklin arrived! Despite being 36 weeks 6 days, his apgars were 8 and 9, and he did not have any respiratory issues. I remember hearing him cry, and then I remember them holding him up for me to see. He is a beautiful baby, the pictures really don't do him justice.



I don't remember much about what happened next, other than that when I felt "with it" again I was in recovery with Franklin next to me. I was give the chance to snuggle with him as much as I wanted, and the first nursing attempt revealed that Franklin was tongue tied, and we made arrangements to have it clipped. The hospital was great, and we were visited by the pediatrician that afternoon to confirm the tongue tie, and the neonatologist right after to discuss the procedure. He was taken for about 10 minutes to complete the clip and returned to us without a scratch. Nursing has been much better since then, and he doesn't seem like the minor procedure phased him. Like many breastfed babies, he's a bit jaundice at the moment and is down 10% of his body weight, so he's hung out under the bili lights last night and all day today. His levels weren't that bad, only moderately concerning, so the lights were a precaution. However, he keeps losing weight... primarily because instead of having the one dirty and 2-3 wet diapers a day that most babies have (apparently they are to have as many wet diapers as they are days old) he's having 2-3 dirty diapers and 4-5 wet diapers a day... meaning that despite my attempts to fatten him up with feedings, he's eliminating everything that I'm putting in! We are doing pretty well, they put me on procardia today to regulate my blood pressure and I've got my fingers crossed that we'll get to go home tomorrow (I'm tired of being in the hospital!). Franklin is a trooper, he's done well hanging out under the lights and Dr. Straughn completed his circumcision today and he's handled it well. I think we'll all feel better once we're home.

Frank is a fantastic dad, he's changed diapers like a champ and holds Franklin like an old pro. I'm so proud :-) Here are a few more pics!






5 comments:

  1. Congratulations Catherine!! RJ and I are so excited for you and Frank! Aunt Carol emailed us yesterday to tell us the good news. Glad to hear everyone is doing well. Hopefully you all will be home soon! So so happy for you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine he is sooooo cute! I felt that the pics of Olivia didn't do her justice either. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Frank and Catherine! We're so happy for you! Hilary and Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Cat,
    I'm so happy to be Franklin's Aunt. He is precious and can't wait to see and hold him again. Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Long Family!! Congratulations on your new addition! Enjoy every minute...it goes by way too fast!! We love you guys and are so happy for you! Jess

    ReplyDelete