Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Another Dr. Update

Well, it finally happened (no surprise), my blood pressure was officially "high" at yesterday's appointment, 144/90, and I have been placed in the never-ending rotation of repeat appointments and testing to make sure things stay within acceptable ranges. Yesterday, we did the group B strep swab and blood work, so luckily they had a baseline for my white blood count and platelet (sp?) counts, which were fine. They took blood a second time to check my kidney and liver function, and those should be back today. They also sent me down to antepartum testing for a Contractions Stress Test, which would monitor how the baby handles my blood pressure during a contraction. Franklin did just fine, he kicked at the monitor again, but we didn't have any decels during contractions (I had three in ten minutes as required for the test) and his heart rate was great. They also did another ultrasound to check his fluid levels, and those were great too! Turns out, I am 1 cm dilated and 70% effaced, and the doctor could feel his head yesterday in the exam he is so low (I could've told her that). The ultrasound couldn't have measured his head very well yesterday either, since the tech said he had it jammed into my pelvis (lovely). We did have a new phenomenon during the ultrasound, however, because Franklin likes to keep things interesting. Yesterday, instead of his hands next to his face, his FOOT was next to his face. The tech was like, "Wow, that's a huge foot!" followed by "Wow, that's a really wide, flat foot!" Those of you who know Frank are likely aware (or possibly not) that he has what I refer to as "Fred Flintstone" feet, or the widest, most arch-free feet I've ever seen. So grandparents, prepare yourselves for a tiny version of Frank to arrive very soon!


I go back to the doctor tomorrow to repeat all of the testing from yesterday, and will return on Monday to do the same all over again. Since I'm officially "Full Term" on Saturday, he'll most likely be here sometime next week. I am hopeful that my blood work stays normal, because if my counts get too low then I cannot have an epidural during the c-section and will have to undergo general anesthesia. So let's keep our fingers crossed that we get him out before it gets to that point, because general anesthesia means no Frank in the operating room and several hours of waiting for me to wake up after the surgery to meet my little boy! I'm hopeful that won't happen, and luckily my doctor is keeping a close watch on everything to make sure that it doesn't. So (despite my prediction otherwise), next week is the week! Here's to the end of this exciting journey :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment