Tuesday, October 13, 2009

And we're still here....

My appointment with Dr. Straughn yesterday went fine, and I was pleased that she offered a growth scan "just for fun." Essentially, I have only trace protein showing up in my labs and my blood pressure was 130/82. Yes, up ten points in five days, but still not technically "high," which is at least 140/90. My next appointment is Tuesday the 20th, a week from today, so we'll see where we are at that point. In any event, I'm here and still pregnant for at least the next week.

Now to the fun part! Last week when Dr. Straughn measured my fundal height, I measured at 36 1/2 weeks. Yes, ahead for where I was at that point (34 weeks 3 days), but fairly typical. Yesterday, however, my fundal height measured at 39 weeks. So looks like Franklin has enjoyed another large growth spurt. So I'm now measuring about 4 weeks ahead of where I am. Dr. Straughn decided to have her ultrasound tech scan me just to make sure everything was ok, and off I went. Sometimes fundal height measurements can be off, due to the way the baby is positioned or the amount of amniotic fluid present. The ultrasound, however, confirmed the measurement -- Baby is head down, and his head, abdomen and a few other measurements were dead on at 39 weeks. His estimated weight at this point: 7 lbs 5 ounces. (!!!!) Seriously??!? That's 2 pounds more than I weighed at birth. At this point, he's packing on a 1/2 a pound a week, meaning that if I went to 40 weeks Franklin would be a 10 pound baby. OMG. I hope he can wear some of the cute outfits I've bought him, they obviously won't fit very long. He also has hair! And chubby cheeks! And he STILL had his hands next to his face. Poor thing will probably come out with scratches all over his sweet face due to those fingernails... I've purchased several sets of mittens so that I can hopefully prevent him from doing further damage once he's decided to make his appearance.


In another way, the fact that he's so big and I'm measuring so far ahead also made me feel better about how bad I feel at this point. I don't think I've ever met a pregnant woman who's reached 39 weeks who isn't ready for the baby to just get out already! You're exhausted, you're carrying around a ton of extra weight, the baby's huge and pressing on all of your organs, you can't sleep, and it's a rough go. I was beginning to feel like a bit of a whiner, honestly, since at 35 weeks I am still not technically "term" and shouldn't be quite so anxious for him to get out... but my body feels like I'm at 39 weeks, and it's telling me that it's ill-equipped to carry around this much extra stuff all the time. At this point, the swelling in my legs, thighs and feet never goes down, even with rest and putting my feet up. The indentions in my ankles and legs when I cross my feet totally freak Frank out, because they don't exactly "bounce back" like normal skin would. And yes, with the amount of swelling I'm experiencing, it actually hurts to bend my ankles. So the normal "pregnancy waddle" is compounded by the fact that I'm in pain when I walk in more ways than one.

I am anxious to meet my little boy, and am hopeful that the day will arrive sooner rather than later. I just try to hang in there from week to week now, and look forward to my visits with Dr. Straughn so I might catch a glimpse of when this entire experience will reach it's end. Next week, another pregnancy milestone: the GBS Swab and the beginning of weekly cervical checks. FUN!

1 comment:

  1. What a whopper! He'll be good and healthy and ready for those cloth diapers right away! Hopefully Franklin's nails will be soft from the amniotic fluid and won't scratch him in the belly. Olivia STILL keeps her hands up and around her face. I just file her nails down which she actually enjoys! I'm afraid to clip them and the mittens (boxing gloves) annoy me.

    ReplyDelete