Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Doctor's Orders

Follow up appointment today with Dr. went fabulously! I explained to her that I have good days and bad days with contractions at this point, some days (like Monday) I don't have very many at all and don't have to take a Brethine until the end of the day. Others, the contractions kick up at 7 AM, and by 9 AM I'm monitoring and making sure I don't need to take another pill. She asked if I'd tried the wine - what?!? Apparently, wine also relaxes the uterus, and can help with the contractions as well. She said to try drinking a glass of wine at the end of the day to help. Um, well, if that's not the best news I've heard in awhile I don't know what is. Given a choice between taking Brethine, which gives me a horrible headache, makes my heart race and causes me to shake, and wine, which is extra tasty and oh-so relaxing, I'll take the wine anyday.
I also did not have a dreaded internal (SCORE!). Dr. was very chill about the contractions, so my feelings on the situation have changed somewhat. Apparently, they really aren't that big of a deal at this point. I'm 9 days from 34 weeks, which is pre-term rather than pre-mature. Dr. also mentioned that babies go into the NICU no matter what until they are 34 w 6 days, so I'm feeling much better about the situation... 16 days, and we have a good chance that even if Franklin decided to make his entrance a tad early, there's a chance he might not have a NICU stay! And the best news of the visit was that once I reach that point, the Brethine is no longer necessary. YES! Even contracting I feel better when I don't take it. So that means that I will not be completely miserable (note I said completely miserable, not merely miserable, because I am ready for this baby to be OUT) for the last few weeks of this pregnancy.
Frank and I will try round 2 of our infant CPR class tonight at the hospital (the first class was scheduled the night of our L & D trip). Here's hoping I can stay awake until the class is over at 9 PM!

No comments:

Post a Comment