Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Happy (belated) 4th of July!

We spent a quiet 4th of July at home playing in the kiddie pool with the water slide. It was awesome! Franklin seemed to enjoy himself:





Water Slide from Frank Long on Vimeo.







I have a feeling we will re-visit this set up for the rest of the summer. What a great way to wear a rather active little boy out! I also made a yummy Lemonade Pie, courtesy of a recipe printed in Southern Living. And then proceeded to eat at least half the pie, by myself. Whatever, I'm pregnant. And it's hot. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients
1 (12-oz.) can evaporated milk
2 (3.4-oz.) packages lemon instant pudding mix
2 (8-oz.) packages cream cheese, softened
1 (12-oz.) can frozen lemonade concentrate, partially thawed
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
1 (9-oz.) ready-made prepared graham cracker crust
Zest of One Lemon

Garnishes: whipped cream, lemon slices, crushed lemon candies

Preparation

1. Whisk together evaporated milk and pudding mix in a bowl 2 minutes or until thickened.
2. Beat cream cheeses at medium speed with an electric mixer, using whisk attachment, until fluffy. Add lemonade concentrate, vanilla, and lemon zest, beating until blended; add pudding mixture, and beat until blended.
3. Pour into crust; refrigerate 8 hours or until firm. Garnish, if desired.


A helpful hint from Southern Living advised that you can freeze a prepared pie crust for 5 minutes and remove it from the pie plate, and put it in your own pie plate for a "homemade" look. Well, the 9" pie crust I used was much smaller than my pie plate. So that didn't quite work. Next time, I'll just make my own crust, it's not that difficult -- graham crackers and melted butter. I also went ahead and spread the cool whip on top of the pie to finish it, which I think helped lighten the tartness of the lemon filling. Fair warning: If you are pregnant, hungry, and like tart things, this pie is irresistible.


No comments:

Post a Comment