Thursday, August 20, 2009

Check!

If you couldn't tell from the previous post, it's been pretty busy at our house lately. In the past week alone, I've crossed several things off the running "list" of things to tackle before Franklin arrives, including:

  1. Wash Crib Bedding
  2. Purchase and install feather topper for bed in nursery
  3. Install Crib Bedding, including ironing crib skirt, shams for bed, table topper and skirt
  4. Attend breastfeeding class*
  5. Attend all-day prenatal class**
  6. Register for Infant CPR Class following instructions to do so at all-day prenatal class
  7. Wash items of clothing purchased for baby
  8. Hang and organize items of clothing purchased for baby
  9. Purchase and wash nursing nightgowns, etc. for hospital
  10. Purchase cosmetic extras for hospital (toothbrush, paste, face wipes, etc.)
  11. Pack said nightgowns and cosmetic extras, etc. in bag for hospital
  12. Type list for Frank in case I must go to the hospital early and have not had time to prepare***
  13. Call Hobby Lobby regarding artwork I took to frame approximately three weeks ago that's supposed to be ready TODAY.
  14. Visit Hobby Lobby TODAY to take in artwork to be framed after I was promised that said art would be finished with framing by Friday.
  15. Almost slap the man at Hobby Lobby after he brings out four CHEAP BROWN, WRONG SIZED frames that are supposedly part of "my order" this morning when I take said artwork by to be framed.
  16. Threaten man's life when I agreed to leave artwork at Hobby Lobby when he assured me the right frames would be in and my art would be finished framing by Monday afternoon.

*Breastfeeding class from 7-9 PM at night after working 10 hour day is not so much fun. Particularly when you thought the class was only an hour, and didn't eat dinner before because you had a snack in the 15 minutes you had to change clothes after work in order to make it to the class on time. 15 minutes into class, realize that you've already read about nearly everything that this woman is talking about, and class is a waste of time - except for 15 minute section where she actually showed you how to hold baby's head in order to create a proper latch.

**Only registered for class to begin with because Frank has little infant experience and the notation for the class explained that "basic infant care" would be covered. Attend class hoping that at least an hour in the afternoon session would cover bathing, temperature, swaddling, diaper changes, etc. - only to realize at the end of the day (which lasted 9-4 on a SATURDAY) that they were going to spend 15 minutes showing you how to change a diaper and swaddle the baby. At the end of the 15 minutes, realize that there will be no "practice" session for husband who's spent all day with you at worthless class, and they didn't even remind the parents of boys to point the willie DOWN so the diaper doesn't leak everywhere. Not to mention the swaddling technique was incorrect and I won't be using it. WORTHLESS waste of $50 bucks, minus the hospital tour that we could've taken for FREE.

***My sweet husband and I have been married for 2 years and he still couldn't tell you which drawers my clothes go in. Typed detailed instructions for where to find my makeup, face soap, etc. were obviously necessary for the inside of the bathroom cabinet. You know, just in case.

After my experiences with prenatal "preparation" classes during this pregnancy, I have decided that there should be two types of classes involved: 1) classes for average-idiots who get pregnant accidentally and don't do any research or reading into what they can expect/ should know until they are 38 weeks pregnant and realize they were too stupid to do anything in advance. People who ask questions like, "Oh, if you get an epidural you aren't put totally under?" Idiots. I do not want to sit in a classroom with these people from 9-4 on a Saturday. I have done my research, just give me the cliff notes version of what you think I should know, and I'll try to restrain from arguing with you about whether Happiest Babies on the Block has a better system than Moms on Call, and the virtues of using either compared to Baby Whisperer. Seriously people. 2) Classes for professional people who are tired at the end of the day (because they have a JOB) and who have already read every major book published, talked to all of their friends for suggestions, and visit websites daily for tips on how to properly prepare for the birth and care of their infant that they desperately tried for months to conceive.

When Dr. Straughn and I first discussed the fact that I want an elective C-section, she asked if it was a "fear" thing and whether I'd ever seen a regular (I can't bring myself to post Virginia on the blog) birth. I explained that I'd seen several (I mean, if you have cable who hasn't watched a Baby Story at LEAST once), and it was just more of a "I know myself, my family, my husband enough to know this will be the best way for us" kind of a thing. At the point during the all-day prenatal class when went through "labor coping techniques" and were were supposed to be practicing hand and back massage after watching couples use the techniques in a video, my feelings regarding the c-section were completely validated. Frank had been instructed to try out the hand massage, and instead looked at me and retorted, "We're having a C-section, I don't have to do that." 30 seconds later and he'd taken the pillow that we brought to the class and is lying in the floor with his head on the pillow in my lap. Rule number one for pregnant women, as explained over and over during the all-day prenatal class: trust your instincts.

78 days to go until we meet our little man, it can't get here fast enough!

4 comments:

  1. You've GOT to calm down . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we need to get Frank and my husband together! Hehehehe! BTW...we almost got thrown out of class because we couldn't take the "breathing technique" thing seriously and kept laughing uncontrollably!! We were the OLDEST in the class...but I guess the least mature! ...and you mean the peepee needs to go down...right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm losing my mind!! Thanks Jess, I corrected now. Baby brain overload. See, that's why they should've discussed it at the class....

    ReplyDelete
  4. hilarious :)

    The class thing is so true. I knew everything they could teach me and had imparted that knowledge on Kevin a thousand times before. The only thing that was worth it was they made the guys put on the "30 pound belly" and try to do simple tasks. Like tying shoes and getting dressed. I have a picture of Kevin with it on and won't ever forget him saying "my back hurts." I loved that teacher for bringing them over to the dark side!

    ReplyDelete