Monday, August 15, 2011

Week 34

This week is a big week for Crosby, as hitting the 34 week milestone means that (in the event something goes awry in the next three weeks) he is considered "pre-term" instead of premature and would likely have no permanent issues if he was born early. With Franklin, week 34 meant that I was no longer required to take brethine to stop contractions and avoided the nasty side-effects related to taking that drug as a result. This time, while I've had lots of braxton hicks contractions, they generally go away and aren't nearly as regular or intense as those with Franklin. I am extremely happy that I've made it this far without any serious complications (fingers crossed that continues!) and am holding my breath for the next three weeks or so, until Crosby is term. This week, baby boy #2 is the size of an average cantaloupe, weighing in at 4.75 pounds and is almost 18 inches long. I suspect Crosby may be on the larger side, and is probably at least 5 pounds by now.


Last time: awful swelling that never went away, never-ending weight gain despite eating healthy (probably due to all of the gatorade and water I was drinking to try and control heartburn and contractions), and heartburn so bad I couldn't lie down at night. Frank had retreated to sleeping in the nursery. I woke up multiple times a night, when I could sleep, and generally felt pretty miserable. These last 3 1/2 weeks with Franklin were pure agony, from the pregnancy-related carpal tunnel (due to swelling) to my inability to wear shoes. It was downright mean.


This time: I LOST a pound last week. That's right. Shocker there. I also have avoided heartburn altogether thanks to a single tiny pill taken at night before bed by the name "prevacid." What on earth was I thinking last time not taking that?? I also sleep pretty well thanks to another helpful medicinal assistant known as Unisom. 1/2 a unsisom + pregnant lady = decent sleep. Sanctioned by my doc, they actually prescribe unisom + B12 to women in their first trimster as an anti-nausea aid, and I am quite thankful for it at this point. Bonus: I can wear shoes! Bonus #2: I am still within the recommended weight gain with the end in sight! I really must do things better the second time around, seriously.


While my end goal with this pregnancy is the same (healthy baby!) I am really, really hoping to avoid delivering with a mag drip and a pre-birth stay in the hospital the night before he arrives. I think after a 6 day stay in the hospital, BP issues, and uncontrollable swelling I'm due the birth I planned all along: Clean hair, freshly manicured nails and toes and the ability to remember most of the day (that mag drip is bad, lemme tell ya).


So here's to the beginning of the end of this miraculous journey called pregnancy...

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad this pregnancy has been much easier for you. The second ones are usually a breeze! :-)

    ReplyDelete