Monday, July 27, 2009

Yes, I am an over-achiever...



I have not been eagerly anticipating today's test date. I've read horror stories about the dreaded gestational diabetes test, and figured the same would go for my experience. Luckily, I was wrong! The worst part about the test was fasting before-hand. Not being able to drink water since midnight last night was NO FUN, and I woke up this morning parched. By the end of the test (around 10:30 this morning) I really wasn't all that hungry, but wanted a tall glass of water REALLY BAD. For those non-preggos, essentially they make you drink a really sugary drink, wait an hour, and then they test your blood sugar to see how your body responds to the insulin rush caused by the sugary drink.


Many people have tried to describe what the sugary drink tastes like. I've heard koolaid, those orange drinks we used to get from Sam's when we were kids, etc. - The drink that I was offered, however, wasn't orange, and tasted like this:


And it was cold. God bless my doctor. After not having anything to drink, it actually tasted pretty darn good to me. A little sweet, but hey, I gulped it down. Fastforward an hour later, and I passed! Sugar needed to be under 140 to pass the test, and mine was 116. Yes, I have always been an over-achiever.


And apparently I over-achieve in most things to do with this pregnancy, including weight gain. The scale was not my friend today. Even the nurse raised her eyebrows and said, "Well, Dr. Straughn might not say too much to you today....". As in, "Hey fatty, lay off the cookies already!" So, I will reluctantly put down the pint of Ben and Jerry's and will try to tie my running shoes in order to prevent becoming a beached whale in the next 3 months or so. However, passing the diabetes test means that if I HAVE to have a bag of chocolate double-stuffed oreos, or a few bites of Stephen Colbert's AmeriCone Dream (you know, because the baybee wants it) then it won't HURT the baby like it would've done if I had NOT passed the test. Yes, round of applause for myself.


In other news, I happily purchased a crib mattress this weekend that fit perfectly into our crib (as in, you can't even slide your hand in between the mattress and rails - SCORE!), and ordered all of the crib bedding and artwork for the nursery. The first part of the crib bedding arrives today - covers for the changing pad, a diaper stacker and sheets. The art for the nursery should be in later this week. I also think I found a pretty good deal on a diaper bag. I purchased this:


In chocolate brown, and had Franklin's initials monogrammed in light blue on it. Total with shipping, monogramming and tax: under $50. The cradle bedding will also be in this week (according to the people that I have purchased it from, ahem), and Frank is nearly done priming, sanding, and painting the cradle and wooden monogram. So, crossed off the list of to-do's in the last week and half have included:

  1. Install Glider
  2. Purchase Crib Bedding
  3. Purchase Crib Mattress
  4. Purchase Changing Table Pad
  5. Purchase Art Work for Nursery
  6. Purchase Sheers/Drapes for Nursery
  7. Clean out closet
  8. Clean out dresser to be used as changing table
  9. Purchase Diaper Bag

(Err, that's a lot of purchasing?!?) Now we just have a few things left to do to finish the nursery! I can't wait to see it all come together!

1 comment:

  1. The task master is knocking that list out! Impressive. You know, I'm really envious of that baby bag. My sis inspected mine yesterday and determined it was too big and too heavy--while empty! Rats.

    ReplyDelete