Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Slow Cooker Goodness

In honor of Fat Tuesday, we had a little red beans and rice courtesy of Southern Living last night for dinner. I am a big fan of slow cooker meals because, well, you throw things in a pot before you leave for the day and come home to dinner. Obviously this looked better over rice in a pretty little bowl, but it looks like a slow cooker full of goodness to me. I personally thought this beat pre-packaged red beans and rice mixes to pieces. Better yet, you get to control the salt content and quality of the ingredients used. Here's the recipe:

1 lb Red Beans
1 package Andouille Sausage
1/2 Sweet Onion, Small Dice
1/2 Green Bell Pepper, Small Dice
1/2 Red Bell Pepper, Small Dice
1 stalk Celery, Small Dice
3 Cloves Garlic, minced
3 Tablespoons Creole Seasoning
1 42 Oz Carton Chicken Stock
White Rice, Cooked
Put first 9 ingredients into slow cooker. Cook on low for 7-9 hours, or until beans are tender. Prepare rice according to package directions, serve. How easy is that? (My shout out to Ina).

2 comments:

  1. THAT looks so freakin' good. I love slow cooker meals, but I only have two in my arsenal. Luke would love this (with Turkey Andouille)...consider it STOLEN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's rather tasty, I must admit... Our Andouille was pretty spicy, which made the dish spicy - but you could use a milder version to tame the heat a bit. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete